Saturday, August 28, 2010

Art and Space: The Studio

The hardest part of being an artist is all the stuff. I love my stuff. I need my stuff. This becomes a problem when you live with someone. When I lived alone, my dining table was covered in art projects and supplies and the walls surrounding it were covered in sketches in the manner of a stalker. Paintings were drying on the balcony, paintbrushes littered the bathroom sink. Unfortunately, most artists can't afford to live alone, or fortune smiles on us and we find ourselves not alone. So, the stuff suddenly becomes a burden to the roommate/partner/husband/wife. There are ways to get around this. If you have the extra space, it's always good to dedicated it to art. If not, there are some tricks.


Get plastic drawers.
I swear by these suckers. You can get them at any department store like Walmart, Kmart and Target. I found one of mine next to a dumpster (along with the biggest canvas ever!) I think they're better than bins since there isn't so much space that you overfill and can't find anything. At the same time, they come in a lot of different sizes to fit your big and little needs.

Dedicated Space

Let's face it, you are going to need to leave something out. Be it drying media or gremlins made time go faster, something will need to stay out. Have a somewhat orderly space for this. Pick somewhere out of the way like the counter in the second bathroom or a small table in the corner. Give yourself a break, never expect to be perfectly clean.

Get in the Closet

Have a walk-in closet? Instant studio space! I've never tried this, but my mother is giving it a go. If you don't have a lot of clothes, or you use a dresser, why not use your closet as a tiny art room? You can remove the coat racks from the wall and suddenly you have elbow room. Sure, it's cramped, but then no one will want to come in there to bother you.

Go outside

Okay, not every artist lives in New Mexico (although, it seems like you can't swing your bag without hitting one) but if the weather is good, the yard or the balcony can be a good place, weather permitting, particularly for painters.

Get a Room

If you have extra money, a studio space might be worth it to you.
There are some self-storage facilities that have climate control, and may be more cost-effective. Keep in mind that if you sell, you will likely need to sell elsewhere, your self storage security might not be amused.

Friends with Space

I have finally lucked out with my art-making space. My partner bought a house with a separate two-car garage that is mine - ALL MINE!! However, I didn't immediately forget the trials of being an artist, so I share my space with a fellow artist (although, this roommate doesn't need me to be clean). Sharing a space with someone who has similar needs definitely helps. Find someone who will share a corner of their garage, or who will split a studio space with you. Or get lucky, like me ;)



1 comments:

Patricio Freire said...

I love this entry, makes me want to convert the garage into a studio, but not without crawling in bed and sleeping first.